A True Poet of Them All

I posted about this in the sad thread, but sad really isn't the word for what I'm feeling right now, so bear with me.

I gave my best friend a copy of "Signs of Life" for her birthday because we have roughly the same taste in music and I thought she'd like it. She did, but her fiance listened as well, and then saw fit to spill to me about how POTF is a "decent" band but how the "solos were pretty weak" "the guitar rhythems were pretty repetitive and forced" and they "used cookie cutter techniques on the slower acoustic songs." Then he says he plays guitar himself, so he's picky about his guitar.

Despite the fact that I kept repeating to him that I don't care about his opinion, he then proceeded to go on about Joe Satriani and how much better he is. "Your band is alright, but the bar for great bands is really high. The Beatles, the Doors..."

Ya know, I try to get along with him for my friend's sake, but damn if he doesn't talk like he knows everything... Not just about music, but about computers, movies, cars, you bring up ANY subject and he has to be the expert on it.

If my friend really marries him I don't know what I'm going to do.

A Playwright On The Side

lol, comparing joe with poets is like comparing a soccer player and a team

joes songs are written just for the guitar - no edges, no problems because a singer want to sing, because the songs doesnt need real structures etc.
in a band everything has to fit together
but that gives the song more depth... and thats why i prefer bands instead of solo guitar artists(or bass or whatever)

sorry to say that, but in that case your friend is a dumbass

The Overseer

DreamerM wrote:
I gave my best friend a copy of "Signs of Life" for her birthday because we have roughly the same taste in music and I thought she'd like it. She did, but her fiance listened as well, and then saw fit to spill to me about how POTF is a "decent" band but how the "solos were pretty weak" "the guitar rhythems were pretty repetitive and forced" and they "used cookie cutter techniques on the slower acoustic songs." Then he says he plays guitar himself, so he's picky about his guitar.

Just ask him one question: how many albums has he sold with his guitar playing?

More seriously, it's just a certain type of people who think they know everything about everything, or rather want to give that kind of impression. It has more to do with social pressure and situations than anything else. I might go further analyzing what makes him do that, but of course I don't claim to know enough human psychology and this particular situation to do that. :)

During the band's short career so far, they have had their share of besserwissers who always seem to know exactly what they do wrong, what they should do better, etc. The trick is to just ignore these cases.

A True Poet of Them All

MelancholiaOfDawn wrote:
joes songs are written just for the guitar - no edges, no problems because a singer want to sing, because the songs doesn't need real structures etc.

Exactly! Call me old fashioned but virtuosic solos just for their own sake, while technically impressive, are pretty boring. A song has to hold together or you're going to forget about it pretty fast.

I mean, look at Yngwie Malmsteen. Best guitarist alive today, and he can't hold a band together to save his life.

EDIT: Because the rest doesn't matter.

Last edited by DreamerM on 17 Jun 2008, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

Jack-Smoking-Fingers-in-a-Box

I have the same problem with a friend of mine ,her BoyFriend always ,all the time thinks he's 100% right,& he even calls me & he's girl friend stupid :? ,
the problem is he was my friend b4 i even meet the girl who's his GirlFriend right now....he always thinks he's a genius & we'r empty brained people,it gets on my nerves & even his Gf can't stand most of the time but she loves him so tries 2 get over his geniusness:D
i had a big fight with him last week & even blocked & deleted him from my msn & said i wouldn't talk 2 him ever again,the story exactly went like this:
he asked me if i can remove his Gf's pix from my facebook account i said NO,i said no cuz i was mad 2 them both cuz they went 2 a job interview without tellin me & we agreed b4 2 go 2gether,so i was kinda mad cuz of this this,after i said now about removin the pic,he told me me it's either u remove the pic now or i'll delete ur account & format ur pc (he's in computer sciences faculty so he knows what 2 do)..i told him u won't get me doin what u want by threatenein me....the arguement went on like this..immidiatly he took my facebook account & refused 2 give it 2 me for like 2 or 3 days,since then he calmed down & told me he's give it back & he did ,& told him um srry but i'm gonna block u now,he tried 2 say srry but i was pretty angry that time...& he Gf who's my friend durin my anger time told me it's ok dun be mad but to say the truth u were rude 2 him ..i was like r u kiddin me ??i just said now what's rude about that,& plus the way he reacted is not a way 2 react with ur friends,threaten them by messin with their stuff..then i blocked her 2 cuz she pissed me off more & more...but i unblocked her sooon,& just yesterday i added my friend one more time & i told him i added u again cuz i forgot that i owe a cake ^^
cuz we agreed a long time ago i'll bake him a cake cuz i now know how 2 bake cakes...now we'r all 3 cool no hard feelings but i know he'll annoy me again ..but that's what friends r for ,gotta get over those things :P

A True Poet of Them All

Sounds like both their loyalties are a bit messed up right now, thats what usually happens with relationships. Hope they sort themselves out for your sake.

I'm angry at a girl i've known since I was little. We were best friends once, but a very nasty argument meant we didnt speak for 2 years. We're friends again now, but only just.
Anyway, she spoke to me the other day and asked for my new mobile number, I gave it to her and got the reply "oh yeh, your ex really wants to get in touch with you, so i just sent him your number." I was absolutely fuming with her for loads of reasons, other than the obvious.
When I met this boy, she was good friends with him, and she kind of pushed me onto him. It turned out he was one of the most emotionally unstable, melodramatic misfits you could conjure up. (think emo to the extreme without the make-up) He had no job, no education and hobbies included cutting himself, petty theft and smoking weed. When I ended things, he threatened to kill himself, called me all the names under the sun and my friend who set us up called me cruel and cold

After three years, this guy sends me VERY freaky text messages, and i find out through the grapevine that he's doing some very hard drugs. I try explaining to my mate why I'm so repulsed by this boy, and she gets mad at me for 'not giving him a chance.' We've fallen out again, 'cause she called my current boyfriend who she's never met some very harsh names, (bearing in mind this one's very talented, has a lovely personality and a job and degree, and he's hot!) all because I decide not to ruin my life again by bothering with that delinquent!

[/girly_premenstrual_rant]

Rhymer of the Evervigil

Holy shit! Thats some crazy stuff, I'd say forget that friend she doesn't really seem to give half a shit about you, and in truth if she keeps up the stuff shes at she'll end up getting you a personal stalker

and why i had to try it
its to jimmy eat world
and those nights in my car
when the first star you see
may not be a star
im not your star

that's a little freaky & disturbing :o
& yeah she's not a friend @ all dunno what's in her mind,but just dun give a damn about it & try 2 avoid them both..

A Bard and a Trickster

Either you put up with others (i.e. don't give a damn) or you criticize them (just like in the first post of this topic). Bear with it or not. Personal opinions should be discussed imho so no need for hate are anger in this situation.

Just came from the university I applied to. I'm pissed off with all those stupid f*cks there telling me everytime I speak with them that I have to sit yet another exam. I'm really getting sick of all this indirect way of wanting money and I think I'll soon cross the line of good behavior and make such a mess for them, that they'll never even think about doing the same thing. They might be in their own country, but doesn't make them something more than me. They might be highly educated, or at least have a diploma higher than mine, but that doesn't make them something more than me as well, and they treat as if I'm not a person.
I really wanna kick their stupid asses and I really will this time. I'm sick of this country and the people here! Sick, sick, sick!!!

P.S.: Dreamer, I have to say a huge thank you for starting this... I feel a bit better now after writing this.

The One that never Sleeps

Where's the "Funny Thread"?

Shakespeare's Worst Nightmare

My brother invited 3 of his friends in our home.. They eat all the food and mess the places.. and they are so noisy!! I'm losing my nerves!! I heard someone of them was playing my piano,and I'm afaraid they'll break it!
God, I'm going to be angry if they won't let me sleep tonight!!

A True Poet of Them All

Next time, slam the piano lid on their fingers!

Ree wrote:
Next time, slam the piano lid on their fingers!

I will :D

A True Poet of Them All

I was at a party last night, and since that is how parties with MY friends go, we all played a loud, hilarious game of Apples to Apples, followed by an even louder game of Rock Band.

Well we got Courtesy Patrol called on us. This in and of itself is not strange, as we were, admittedly, being VERY loud. What IS strange is that the Courtasy Patrol gave my friend a pink "warning" paper stating that if they have to come again, he could be expelled from the university we all go to.

We don't live in the dorms. This is a private apartment complex, though a lot of students live there because it's so close to campus. I find it very, VERY hard to believe that the school would expel us for something we did off campus.

It kinda ruined our Rock Band fun. I'm gonna go find out the truth tomorrow.

I hate mosquitos.

A True Poet of Them All

Can't go out, because it's raining. And it's been raining almost every day last two weeks. :| Really nice summer. :(

A True Poet of Them All

Dreamer thats sucks, a friend of mine had a caution not long ago for having too many people staying at the house, which isnt even managed by the university!!

Janina, come to the UK :D

OT: Recently a teacher of mine went to America. The town where we live has had a really bad name now for quite a few months (Bridgend, you might have heard of it) which has totally been blown out of all proportions by media hype. Recently it has gone international, as my teacher found out. When he mentioned he was from Bridgend people were apologising. He said he got the impression that those over there that had heard of Bridgend thought it was some redneck deadbeat town with no young people left 'cause they'd all killed themselves!!! Just to point out, its actually a lovely town, with good areas and bad areas just like any other and untill the recent media attention it has been growing economically at a fantastic rate.

A True Poet of Them All

Ree wrote:
Janina, come to the UK :D

I'm comiiing. :D

Janina wrote:
Can't go out, because it's raining. And it's been raining almost every day last two weeks. :| Really nice summer. :(

I waaaaaant :( It's 34°C here and I've already melted down.... :x

I Hear The Words They Will Not Speak

tisovcik_rasto wrote:
I waaaaaant :( It's 34°C here and I've already melted down.... :x

Damn!! I have a same situation here :evil:

we have all rain here, it sucks. had to play 1 our football in extreme rain today

A True Poet of Them All

I have football match tomorrow and it's going to rain. :evil:

The One that never Sleeps

I'm angry cause today I was blamed for being lazy and not watching over the students when that's all I've done all week.

People think they're automatically more competent just cause they're older. hate that fact.

A long message, written with hard work that required a lot energy, and PUFF, the damn site logged me off. There goes my message.

A Confidante of the Kindred

I'm afraid that might have partly my fault, for keeping you. I'm sorry if so. :(

I am angry at some family members of mine for being buttheads today.

um angry cuz people do suck!!!a friend of mine who i knew 6 yrs ago from school,last week i met her & she told me she likes a guy she only chats with online,so she doesn't even know him & the disaster is she's in a relationship with some1,some1 she just cheated on 2 weeks ago 2 make him pay attention 2 her & he found out & 4gived her..
i tried warnin her about this internet dude but she wouldn't listen 2 me,& then i was talkin with her & her tongue slipped & admitted she didn't love her boyfriend & she won't love any1 she's only lookin 4 what's best 4 her self because she was heart broken from her ex ... our conversation got serious out of no where my advices turned into an arguement & when we talked online her online romeo talked 2 me & called me selfish & stuff like that because he wants me 2 stop talkin 2 my friend & advicin her..i blocked him after that ..then me & her faught really bad because she wanted 2 meet him & wanted me 2 go with her but i refused & tried 2 stop her from meetin this guy he seems suspicious 2 me
then i told her if u don't stop doin that imma tell ur bf because i cant watch u play with some1 just because u can...then she threatened me & told me that i ruined her ..b4 i even do anything..a little l8er she told me she told her BF about everything & he also 4gave about the internet romeo...unbelievable...she made a friend of hers add me & talk 2 me rude & pretendin 2 be a guy who wanted any B 2 sleep with him & got my e-mail from a male friend of mine who suggested me as a very good Ho :shock: which is not true it was her!!!
i knew it was her & i told her i know it's u & she told i failed this time but trust me i got something big waitin 4 u don't worry!!
when her BF came online he started a conversation with me & asked me what's she hidin i told him she wanted 2 meet a guy she know through the internet & i said nothin more & nor details...her b4 l8er asked me 2 pretend or be his GF 2 revenge @ her but i refused & blocked him 2...
I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS HUMAN BEING!!!!she was my friend through 5 yrs & now this???????? :cry: Y R PEOPLE THAT HEARTLESS??

God that sucks!!! I am sorry you're going through that.

I am angry because I feel like I need people's acceptance. They treated me like shit and then I go to them and want to feel accepted and I don't know why I am like that!! It makes me mad and I just wanna push it all away. Sigh.. And I dont know what I ever did to deserve friends just dumping me. Goodness.

Thanks for letting me vent. Today's just not been a good day!

TheArtist wrote:
I'm afraid that might have partly my fault, for keeping you. I'm sorry if so. :(
Nah, it's not your fault, just took too long to answer it :P

Sometimes our friends are not what we expect from them to be... but it's really awful when they don't give you a way to help them!!!
About the weather - IT SO F'''CKING HOT HERE... I will die!
StormRose, I've made the same mistakes as you.I forgive whenever someone make me feel like idiot.And I can't stand me when I make it... I need friend's acceptance... That's so bad!
I am angry at some family members, too... but that's current for me!
Becs, I'm angry when the older one tells me what to do... And I get mad when that thing happen!They have experience and it makes them think... that they can predict, for sure, what your future will be... They make me feel like... damned!

Tell me where do we draw the line...