Shakespeare's Worst Nightmare

Sometimes my imagination goes wild; what i wrote above isn't really a request, more of a fantasy like: "what would Beatles be if Lennon didn't marry Yoko" :)

but i would not want you any other way"

The Overseer

BenAkenobi wrote:
Sometimes my imagination goes wild; what i wrote above isn't really a request, more of a fantasy like: "what would Beatles be if Lennon didn't marry Yoko" :)

Yeah, nothing wrong with that. :)

Anyways, I completely understand it would be cool to hear demos or work-in-progress versions of songs... but there are good reasons why such versions are usually released (if at all) something like 20 years after the completed version, on some "The Complete Works" -type compilation.

First, most demos sound like crap. They are not called demos for nothing. Sometimes they are nothing more than a sketchpad to showcase some idea that might or might not work that well, and some elements of the demo could be so demo-ish that no sane person really wants to listen to it.

Second, I can imagine it would feel horrible for the artist to release something unfinished to the public (before the final version, that is). No matter how clearly you label it "DEMO!!!", it would still be the "NEW POTF SONG!!" somewhere on the net. Also, art is not democracy. Releasing stuff like that would make fans ask the band to do this and that in the final version. That's just not how it works. An artist must have complete privacy to finish his work, and only when he decides it's ready to be presented to everyone else, then it happens, not sooner.

And finally, the reason why some demo versions might be interesting is the fact that you can compare them to the final version. And that requires that you already know the final version, and know it well, possibly you have listened to it for years.

However... I know the band has been toying with an idea about an "interactive song", where fans could somehow take part in the creative process. But that's another story, hope it will happen some day in one form or another. :)

No matter how clearly you label it "DEMO!!!", it would still be the "NEW POTF SONG!!" somewhere on the net. Also, art is not democracy. Releasing stuff like that would make fans ask the band to do this and that in the final version. That's just not how it works.

That's a strong point about new material. When i mentioned rehearsals i had a bit different thing in mind. You see, songs on concert often do not sound quite the same as on CD and capturing that new sound without crowd noise seems to involve zero risk.

A Confidante of the Kindred

Apparently my comments caused some unnecessary distress. :oops:
Yes, I meant the previews, so I apologize for the confusion. :P Aside from that, I do stand by the rest of what I said. If Captain has the desire and the opportunity to compose for film, I hope he does it. 8)

Well said, Admin.

Sometimes there are fans who, in their zeal, tend to believe that there's some sort of belonging, some sort of ownership. "This is my favorite band! Now they're really big, but I was there at the beginning! I've met them so many times!" Etc. etc.

Of course, most wouldn't say stuff like that out loud. :P But some fans forget that this sort of ownership does not exist. It starts and ends with the music. The band creates their art, and the public buys it. Or not. But a good band most times will never ask for more than that because someone will always end up disappointed and unsatisfied. Great bands create music to create music, not to merely please people or to just crank out a product.

Sadly, I've seen this invisible ownership (and I myself am not immune to it) already emerge here. I think it began about when RR came out and we suddenly heard something different. It was harsher, it was aggressive, and electric, a little angry, and darker than what we were used to. Some actually said, "This isn't POTF music!" Um...yeah, it is. I remember some were acting as if they were offended, as if they'd been wronged somehow, and that's just so silly. It's human nature, too, but it's silly.

In the end I'm so grateful that we have a band that refuses to kowtow to big music bigwigs. Sure, I suppose it also means a lot more work and a lot less promotion and advertisements, but at least I am confident that what I hear is genuine art. 8)

I hope that makes sense. :oops:

And now, back your your regular local topic! :lol:

The Historian's Apprentice No More

This is going to be way off topic and I apologize, but I feel the need to say this.

DISCLAIMER: This is a general obeservation as a comment to TA's post and not directed at anyone specifically.

In every fandom I have seen so far, there are people who feel like they "own" the band, like somehow they have the right to demand things of them. In every fandom there are also people who feel that the band owes them something – something that goes beyond the music somehow, be it special releases, autographs, or something else. It’s understandable and I’m not saying I have never walked into that trap, but I try to avoid it.

As a fan, you love the band, and you want to be loved back in a way. As a new fan (or at least it is like that for me) it is nice to have "proof" that you have met them, that you did more than just go to the concert (Hey, I had my picture taken with *insert name here*). Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I don’t do these things, I have autographs and I have pictures with quite a few band members and yes that includes all of Poets of the Fall. And I’m not saying I won’t go and seek them out if they come out after a gig or talk to them if I get the chance. However, I don’t feel they owe it to me.

When I go to a gig, I expect my money’s worth of a good concert, nothing more nothing less. It’s a band’s job to perform and I expect them to do it to the best of their ability. I have rarely been disappointed with any band and Poets of the Fall always deliver, even at times when one or more band members should be in bed curing the flu instead of being on stage.

What I find hard to understand is fans that will feel the whole concerts wasn’t complete and the whole experience is spoiled, because the band didn’t come out and meet them after the gig. I do understand being disappointed about that, especially when knowing they have done so at other gigs, but I’m sure there are good reasons why they haven’t and they do not owe this to any of us. Their job is to make music, anything else is added bonus. Poets of the Fall do a lot for their fans, much more than most other bands do, so I personally feel I owe them instead of the other way around. That's just me of course, and everyone is entitled to their own feelings. :)

Less than that I can only agree with what TA has said, especially:

TheArtist wrote:
In the end I'm so grateful that we have a band that refuses to kowtow to big music bigwigs. Sure, I suppose it also means a lot more work and a lot less promotion and advertisements, but at least I am confident that what I hear is genuine art. 8)

OK, off the soapbox now. I hope I didn't confuse or offend anyone. Peace.

[/off topic]

Last edited by redbossfan on 07 Nov 2011, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.

Bartender! 3 glasses o' beer to me and my homiez TheArtist and redbossfan, we be chillin' yo!

Hail to all above! Music is the main thing, the rest is candy! /quote

BenAkenobi wrote:
Bartender! 3 glasses o' beer to me and my homiez TheArtist and redbossfan, we be chillin' yo!

*raises glass* Kippis!

Yaay, Rochard coming to pc! Raise glass again redbossfan :D

Moderator of Souls

Benjamin wrote:
Yaay, Rochard coming to pc!

You didn't seem quite so happy about it at Rochard FB-wall :P What on earth changed your mind?

Well, I'm very happy about the news, can't wait to play :)

-Nightwish

Welly-well, what a treat to us PC players! However speaking for myself it'd be less novelty as i've heard all the music. I will have to restrain myself and not listen to it until the actual game.

Speaking of Rochard PC edition...will help buy in Steam cheaper, 100% legal,
for 7 USD simply game or for 9 USD with bundled soundtrack album. paypal accepted.

note for mods: this is not spam, just friendly offer to fellow fans of POTF

Moderator of Souls

Want a Rochard soundtrack CD signed by POTF and Rochard staff?
Here's your chance!
Rochard's Art Competition
Deadline December 10th!

Man, I gotta get busy...

-Nightwish

A Bard and a Trickster

Blimey, I can't draw at all, my life is a disaster :D

I Hear The Words They Will Not Speak

Wow! another competition for the great soundtrack...I don't have a DeviantArt account but I'll give it a try anyway! :D

Loooaaaads of soundtracks! I need to rob Recoil! xD

Rumormonger

Just listened the Grinder's Blues which was great. It is different from the usual POTF sound but fits to the Rochard game very well. However, even when it's not going to my top10 list it's still a very nice song :)

The overall soundtrack was also great though unfortunately isn't exactly my type of style when it comes to soundtracks. But I can see that it was a result of hard work and it fits well with the game :)

Moderator of Souls

They have picked the winners, and at least one Forumer won!!! Wheee, congratulations LanaVdV, and the other two winners as well!
http://www.rochardthegame.com/en/2011/12/11/rochards-art-competition-the-winners/

My favourite, TheArtis's piece, unfortunately didn't catch a prize... and I wanted her to get one so much!

-Nightwish

Congrats Lana and the other two winners!

Congrats to Lanaaa, and the other 2!

A True Poet of Them All

I won? OMG, I used to never win such contests! :D What a morning! Thank you so much all good people!

I Hear The Words They Will Not Speak

Congratz Lana! :) I knew you were going to be one of 3 winners as you'd had all the aces :wink:

A True Poet of Them All

over_maybe Thank you :roll: To tell the truth I never think of wins etc, I simply love to have part. Now can't wait to get my OST 'cos it's Xmas time. And I must thank the Poets again. And especially Markus - I never dreamed to have his old music in quality! :D

Got MP3 with the game on Steam. Could some kind soul send me a copy in FLAC?

A Dreamweaver at the Loom

I have listened Grinder's Blues many many times now and I have started to like it. It is different than usual POTF songs. I don't know why, but it sounds like Dire Straits kind of music.

BenAkenobi wrote:
Got MP3 with the game on Steam. Could some kind soul send me a copy in FLAC?

I assume you got it by now? :)

i would be lying if i answered yes

I'm going home tomorrow, I can send it to you :)